Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Who Has Christmas Spirit?

So I went to see my doctor last week (a favorite pasttime for me). After the standard 20 minute wait while sitting on the paper covered exam table, Dr. Rudis makes his way into my room with a scowl on his face. Something is obviously wrong, and I'm hoping that it has nothing to do with my present state of health. I cautiously greet him and he starts by saying, "What has happened to the Christmas spirit?" "I went to the mall yesterday and none of the stores had any kind of holiday decorations out; the Christmas season is my favorite time of year and they are ruining it...what do you think about that?" Somewhat shocked and surprised by the unexpected greeting, yet at the same time relieved that his pressing concern was not my runny nose and clogged sinuses, my response was, "as a Christian and also a youth minister, I think its kinda sad to see the spirit of the season being overlooked...except for the rush to meet the demand of consumers during the season." That answer seemed to satisfy him for the moment, as he went on and started looking into my ears, eyes and nose, but as he looked into my mouth, he asked me the question I should have seen coming from the start, "well, what are YOUR people doing about it?" After he finished poking a wooden stick down my throat, I gave him a response, but not a response that would satisfy his question, it was a response that may have left him more irritated than when he first came in, but I believe it to be the truth. My response was, "Although we [Christians] find it sad that corporations and the government are moving away from the Christmas season, we don't put up much of a fight on that level of society because our base of operations is on the personal level. We try to change lives one at a time through relationships rather than going to the top and making the corporations and government force Christmas or Christ on anyone." When I look at how Jesus made the impact he did while he was on the earth, I don't see it as being through the speeches and lessons he gave to the crowds, I see it as through the gentle touches, the kind words, the personal healings, and the discipling of just twelve of his close friends. That is how Christianity spread throughout the world, and that is how it will continue to spread...one touched life at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home